Plan your Business
Food Business Resources
- Full overview on making, packaging and selling anything in TN:
Getting Started in Food Manufacturing from UT Extension Office (PDF)
Regional Business Resources
- Negocio Prospero (Class taught in Spanish)
- Great checklist from Davidson County Clerk Online Resources
- Business Plan Template from the Small Business Administration
- Free Entrepreneur Support and Counseling from SCORE
- Nashville Chamber of Commerce – “In Business For Yourself” Guide (PDF)
- State of TN – “Smart Start” Small Business Guide (PDF)
- Nashville Entrepreneur Center (free monthly coffee and happy hour events)
- Pathway women business center
- Pathway Lending
- Scale up Nashville
Nashville Small Business Development Centers
|TSBDC at Tennessee State University
Avon Williams Campus/Downtown
330 10th Ave. N.
Nashville, TN 37203-3401
|TSBDC at Tennessee State University
Brentwood Satellite Office
1736 Carothers Parkway, Suite 100
Brentwood, TN 37027
Your Business License
All businesses operating within Davidson County are required to obtain a business license and report their gross receipts to the Tennessee Department of Revenue on an annual basis. Mesa Komal rental also requires a business license.
Davidson County Clerk’s Office
700 2nd Ave South, Suite 101, Nashville, TN 37210.
8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (M-F)
(Plus other satellite offices)
When applying for a business tax license, you must provide the following:
- Business name, business address, business telephone number
- Owner’s name(s), home address, home telephone number, social security number
- Copy of owner(s) driver’s license
- Signature of each owner
Sales and Use Tax
For purchasing wholesale in order to resale your product, you need to apply to the State Department of Revenue for a Sales Tax Number (free application). With this, you can buy ingredients tax-exempt and use it to report sales tax revenue.
Tennessee Department of Revenue
Sales Tax and Number and Tax Payer Services
500 Deaderick Street | Nashville, TN 37242 | (615) 253-0600
You may be required to obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) from the IRS. The FEIN is your business’s permanent identification number and can be used for most of your business needs including: opening a bank account, applying for business licenses and filing a tax return by mail. All corporations and partnerships are required to have an FEIN.
Visit the IRS’s Web site which outlines how to apply or call (800) 829-1040 to obtain an application (SS4) form.
**Helpful information on Small Businesses and Self-Employed Federal regulations.
Insurance helps to safeguard your business against losses from fire, illness and injury. You cannot afford to operate without it. A commercial lines policy is required for full protection. Check with your home insurance agent or ask us for recommendations. Be sure to discuss these possible needs with your insurance agent:
- Product Liability Coverage – to protect you if your product causes injury to the user
- Auto Liability and “Non-owned” Auto Liability insurance – if a car is ever used to support the business in any way.
- Medical Payments Insurance – payable if someone is injured in your home or at your place of business, whether or not it was your fault.
- Workers Compensation – if you have employees.
- Business Income Insurance or Earnings Insurance – if your business is damaged by fire or some other cause and you must totally or partially suspend operations.
- Disability Income Protection – a form of health insurance in case you become disabled
- Business Life Insurance – to provide funds for transition upon your death.
**Cost Average is $300-$500/year depending on business age and size
Mesa Komal Liability Insurance Requirements
- $1,000,000 coverage per occurrance
- Conexion Americas listed as additional insured
- Property insurance to cover personal property
- Waiver of Subrogation
Workers’ Compensation Insurance
- Worker’s Compensation Insurance is required by the state for any business with 5 or more employees.
- Mesa Komal does not require Worker’s Compensation Insurance beyond the requirements of the law; but it is recommended for any business with employees.
Workers’ Compensation – EXEMPTION REGISTRY
The Workers’ Compensation Exemption Registry is for the purpose of establishing construction service providers who are exempt from workers’ compensation coverage and in no way reflects licensing or certification of any construction services provider. **For Registry**